Sunday 17 November 2013

Fourth Quarter Studio Challenge

Over on The Felting and Fiber Studio Site, we have quarterly challenges. It's just something to get us thinking, sometimes take us out of our 'comfort zone'. This quarter's challenge is 'Autumn'. I know it isn't Autumn everywhere, the idea developed from 'monochrome' to sections of the colour wheel to 'Autumn' since I was thinking of burgundy, reds and oranges. For once, I didn't leave it until the last minute to start on my piece for the Studio Challenge! I was hoping to take photos of the whole process of making the batt for the top layer, but I've moved all my stuff downstairs and it's really dark so the photos didn't turn out. The oranges, rusts, yellows and reds associated with autumn are one of my favourite colour themes, so I have a nice collection of embellishments in these colours. I made a piece large enough to make a book cover out of and have plenty of felt spare to make closure flaps and straps:


I don't usually add wisps over my surface embellishments, but I wanted a look of them being more 'submerged' and part of the surface than on it. Some yellow cotton gauze:


A red and yellow piece of silk:


A dyed lock of Bluefaced Leicester:


I also nuno felted my new fabrics this week. I only managed to get a clear photo of this one so far, it's very dark again today. This is a nice patterned grey/blue and pink georgette fabric.


It didn't attach very well in some places, it's a bit 'slick', but where it did attach, it rippled nicely:


Have you made anything for the Studio Challenge? Lyn has http://rosiepink.typepad.co.uk/rosiepink/2013/10/autumn-felt.html and so has Teri Berry http://teriberrycreations.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/fourth-quarter-challenge.html

2 comments:

  1. Love the colours and texture of your autumn piece - think it will make a great book cover

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all looks fantastic Zed, love those close up details of the autumn challenge. I made a bag over the weekend with the challenge in mind, have yet to post photos.
    Adore your new georgette fabric, I like how the pattern has felted in.

    ReplyDelete