Wednesday 29 April 2009

Nuno Felted Silk Scarf

I picked up some gorgeous dyed silk scarves a few years ago, and they've been packed in a box ever since. So, I thought I'd have a go at felting one. I picked one out then chose the shades of merino tops to go with it:

It was quite long-38 inches, so I hoped I'd be able to felt it solely by rolling, so that I'd be able to use the technique for larger felted pieces that I don't have enough room for felting the way I usually do. I'd say it felted about 80%, which is okay for felted artwork, but probably not for anything wearable or artwork with textures/added fibres. I finished it off by rubbing on bubblewrap.
Merino side:

silk side:


I started with a reed table runner, then put bubble wrap on top, then the scarf/merino and finally netting, I rolled it up tight, then gave it a lot of rolling-even using my feet. I then unrolled, turned the scarf round 180 degrees, then repeated.
So, if anyone has any tips for making sure it's fully felted by just rolling, I'd be really grateful :)
Pictures of full scarf Here

4 comments:

  1. In my experience, you really need to finish nuno felt by hand, rubbing it in between your hands and shocking it with hot and cold water. Some people throw it down on a table (or in the sink), which seems to help too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a microfibre towel for that. It seems to get the felting and fulling done really well. I think it is because it causes a lot of friction and really grabs the fibers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty colors...I am jus getting started with felting...and having a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments :)
    I've found the same thing, Whitney, but as soon as I find a big enough microfibre towel, I'll definitely try that, Inger, Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete