Thursday 4 February 2016

Flower Shaped Vessel from a Flat Resist.

I didn't realise it has been a month since my last blog post! I always feel bad when I leave it so long, but I try to post on the same days I post on The Felting and Fiber Studio site, and sometimes I'm so tired and my eyes ache so much after that I just don't have the energy or the will. If it wasn't such a faff to sign in and out of different gmail accounts to do it too, I'd be more inclined. And, I'm fairly certain there's only one person (Hi Ali! ) who ever reads it who doesn't read the studio site blogs.

Anyway! ... In case you missed it, Ruth posted the First Quarter Challenge on the Felting and Fiber Studio Site about flat resists, I've used flat resists before, mostly for surface design, simple cases, and a few bags. I have made a few 3D items with flat resists: some bird pods, a few hats, and even a supposed seed pod which looked like the rib cage of a dead animal, but I think I've only tried a vessel once and it was a bit flimsy. So, I thought I'd try a vessel again. I decided on a flower shape, I can't find the actual resist, but it was basically a flower shape:

I used some 27 mic coloured Merino batt I bought from wollknoll and used some silk hankies over the top. This is how it looked from above:


How the underneath looks:


And a kind of side view:


This is where the silk hankie was fine:


And this is where the silk hankie was thicker:


And this is a close up of the batt texture:


If I did it again, I would make the shape more curvy, where the petal shapes met, it was a sharp V shape and the vessel is too thin there, and in some places little holes. This is looking through the vessel opening at a thin patch:


In case you missed it on the studio site, I gave a heads up for my 4th Quarter Challenge which I'll post about around October. Basically, all the challenges this year are on felting techniques, and the theme of mine is 'threads and yarns', so start collecting (all those things you probably never throw away if you're like 95% of fibre artists!) the little snippings of sewing thread:


The annoying frayings and unravellings you get after tearing fabric, like these organza threads:


Any odd or short bits of yarn, handmade, bought or even unpicked knitting:


Plus embroidery thread, string, twine, tassels off the end of scarves and any other bits of thread or yarn you have left over after constructing or deconstructing anything fibre related :)

8 comments:

  1. Already hoarding bits Zed! I'm intrigued by the challenge to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lyn :)
      I'm storing up ideas for it, but hopefully everyone will have their own unique ideas too!

      Delete
  2. Me too, I don't really need an excuse to hoard so this suits me down to the ground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should have a 'scarps' challenge at the end of each year!

      Delete
  3. I only get your posts here too Zed :)

    Love your pod! I don't know quite what it is but something in the character reminds me of the sea anemone shells you see in shops.
    Deborah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah :)
      A few people said it reminded them of something from the sea, probably the shape combined with the effect of silk hankies.

      Delete
  4. This flower pod looks very interesting think I will give it a try. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn, I'd be interested to see it if you do :)

      Delete