Tuesday 15 July 2014

Using Black and White Viscose Together

I think most of the natural wool and fibre panels I've posted about have used one breed of wool and one fibre. I did post about Humbug (black and white striped) Jacob about a month ago, and I'd used both black and white viscose top with that. This first piece is light grey Swaledale, it's mostly a creamy white with light and dark grey flecks which give it the light grey appearance. I blended some black and viscose tops by hand and laid them on top of the Swaledale:


 The overall appearance of the blend is a dark grey, with white streaks:


The separate colours are a bit more obvious close up, I like the way the fibres appear to sit just on the surface, lightly tangled with the Swaledale fibre.


This is a bit closer and slightly at an angle, showing where the fibre is a little bit thicker, I like the twists and waves.


This next piece is one of my favourites, it's English 56s with Angora locks. I don't know if there's a proper name for older goat locks, I've heard 'yearling' used, but I don't know how old the goat was these are from. They are a lot thicker and generally less soft and more wavy than curly  kid mohair. I loosely combed the locks through a handcarder with either black or white viscose, to blend with the locks. I laid them out loosely alternating each row: black, white; white, black etc.


An angled shot:


A close up where the locks were felted in more:


And a supermacro of course:


Do you prefer combinations of wool and fibres which have lots of character and texture or do your prefer the more softer effects of fibres closely felted to the surface of a smoother wool?

2 comments:

  1. I loved the Mohair locks sample. It looks so very soft and touchable. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy :)
      Yeah, I like to use the locks on the bottom of hangings or top of vessels so they can be touched :)

      Delete