Friday 19 April 2013

Coppery Bronze Felt

I hadn't handmade any new felt for a few months until this week. I knew I'd have a spare couple of days for doing layouts and felting, so I went through my supplies and got a few things together. I wanted to make a texturey piece in coppers bronzes and metallic tones, so I chose some commercial art yarns, ribbon, silk tops and silk throwsters waste in those shades:


I also looked through my organza and found a few different gold shades:


I mainly used a shade of Merino from World of Wool called 'Rust', but used a few other shades and blends as well so it wasn't too 'flat'. I really like the way it turned out.


I can't resist a couple of Supermacro close ups of the texture  :)


This is one of the organza pieces.


Another piece I felted yesterday was a nuno felted piece for Ann's challenge on The Felting and Fiber Studio site. I found a quite gaudy vintage pink synthetic headscarf in my supplies and thought I'd make a piece using that. The weather was great yesterday: storm clouds, lightning, thunder, hailstone, but it kept going too dark to take good photos so here's a sneaky peek at some close ups and I'll post the whole piece soon. Ripples:


Ruffles:


If you've joined in with Ann's challenge or would like to, post a link to your work in reply to the challenge post or if you have a flickr account, tag your photo with 'felting and fiber studio challenge' and add it to the flickr group, it will show up on the Studio site's main page.

7 comments:

  1. your bronze coppery felt is stunning...im having problems with my nuno felt .......the fibres wont migrate through the silk gauze but just felt on the surface grrrhh, ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ali :)
    Silk gauze is the same as Silk Chiffon? I wonder why it won't work... I always rub rather than just rolling and usually start with the silk on top, but flip often, if that helps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, thanks for the tips I will have another go tomorrow, ali

      Delete
    2. thanks, tried again today, used your suggestions. Also used cold water and the bubble wrap smooth side down....a wee bit better but its maybe the wool, thanks for your help, ali

      Delete
    3. If you're not making a wearable and it doesn't need to be 'soft', you can give it a really good rub, that always seems to get good results :)

      Delete
  3. The coppery felt is gorgeous. Pretty color and texture you worked. Great to join challenge. It's way to lift up. Hope to do it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terrie :)
      I'll look forward to seeing what you make :)

      Delete